My interactive workshops for leaders, staff, stewards, activists and apprentices focus on labor history, economic justice education, coalition building, communications skill building and strategic planning. I also produce educational and training materials designed specifically for individual unions. All my work is focused on what we can learn from our past and present struggles that will inspire and educate participants to take more sustained actions that are needed to build more power today and into the future. My six interactive workshops are:
- “Making the American Dream Real for Everyone” which focuses on the rise and fall of unions and our allies over the past 125 years in our fight to share fairly in the wealth we produce and build a more just and equitable country, and how we can rebuild our power. Watch the video. Download the PowerPoint.
- “Winning Big in Hard Times” which explores the rise and fall of unions and our allies in strengthening our democracy over the same time period and how we can reclaim our democracy. Watch the video. Download the PowerPoint.
- “Which Side of History Are You On?” which focuses on Corporate America’s counterattack over the past 40 years and how disunity between organized labor and our potential community allies and movements weakened us. Most importantly we learn about many examples of major successes that new labor/communities alliances are winning. Watch the video. Download the PowerPoint.
- “Speaking from the Heart to Win Community Allies” which encourages participants to speak from their hearts and use better messaging techniques as they reach out to non-union workers and current and potential community allies. Download the PowerPoint.
- “Reaching Out to Young Workers and Young People” which explores the generation gaps of the 1960s and today and stimulates discussions about better ways to encourage our very progressive youth to greater activism in our unions.
- “Train the Trainer” which teaches participants a range of skills needed to run workshops of different contents and varying lengths. These skills can be used to run workshops that are content-focused like the “American Dream” workshop as well as a communications or messaging workshop like the “Speaking from the Heart” workshop.
My speeches and workshops combine personal and family stories and experiences, finding our common ground of economic hard times and concerns about the future for our young people, and sharing our deep concerns about the future and our shared American Dream. We explore critical lessons about how we move forward to change the direction of our labor movement and country. The work also highlights significant victories that labor and our allies are winning across the country which are largely hidden from us. Each workshop concludes with small group and large group discussions of how we use the shared information and new skills more effectively in our work and bringing more people into our movement and coalitions.
Each workshop can be adjusted for length of time, audience size and type e.g. leader, staff, activists, members or apprentices and your union’s needs. I look forward to working with you in the months and years ahead.
Read what People are Saying.
Body of Work
Here is a list of speeches and workshops.